Monday, June 15, 2009

What is poverty?

We all know that there are poor people in every country, and the poor all have a same situation, which is poverty? What is poverty? We know it is the situation that poor people have, but what exactly is poverty? Some say poverty is the state of having a little or no money. Other say poverty is the state of being extremely poor. Personally, I think poverty is a situation that some has, and it's a situation when they don't have ability find job, or doesn't have the opportunity to find the job. I think poverty is not just being poor, is not like they want to be poor. I think it sounds really bad if you say someone is poor. They might just not have the opportunity to have a job. It's also possible that the country might be over populated, so there are not enough job opportunities for them. Some of the places are living in poverty, like India, Philippine, Africa...etc. Some of them live in poverty, because the country is over populated or something. Some of the people never get education, so they weren't able to read, write, or even write their own names.

I don't want to say I feel sorry for them, but when I see videos of people finding food from trashcans or people living in such small house with only a little bit of money to survive. I have a bunch of questions that I want to ask whenever I see those videos. Why are there poor people? Don't the government want to change this, or at least help them? Some of the poor people can ask for help from friends or family, but what happens if they don't have any friends or family members? I want to help them, but sometimes I don't know how to do it. I think sitting down and feeling bad for those people is not the right thing to do, because we should change it, and if you have the ability, then help them.

0 comments: